BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scout Camp Part 1

We just got back from Boy Scout camp.  Yes, I am a girl and I went up for the whole week and believe it or not, I was not the only girl there.  Mr. K is the scoutmaster and he bribed me with the promise of hot showers, flushing toilets and the futon mattress with my Tempur-pedic pillow in the back of a fully enclosed truck.  How could I say no to that?  We left K4 and K5 at Grandma and Grandpa Steepstairs house, (nickname compliments of K5) and drove to Wyoming.  

When Scoutmaster K was checking in, they asked me if I would be a camp commissioner for the week.  They said it was easy and I would get a free hat and shirt so I said, "Sure."  The commissioner (me)  inspects campsites and makes sure everything is in tip top shape.  Turns out, that includes looking down into the latrine to make sure no one has thrown anything in that shouldn't be there.  Not worth the hat and tee shirt, btw.


In spite of my daily duties, I did have a great time.  I finished 1 book and started Walden by Henry David Thoreau.  He is hard to read (deep) but some of the things he writes are amazing.  There are also some parts that I can't see eye to eye with him, for instance the part where he says he is 30 years old and that there isn't anything to be learned from older people.  My friend thinks he is using sarcasim but I don't.  But I digress.

K1 lit a fire using flint and steel.

K2 got his first merit badge-leatherwork.

They played some fun games like circle tug of war.  K3 went airborn a couple of times.


He had fun skipping rocks across the lake and climbing all over.


K2 and another scout in kayaks.


On one of the days, they had a contest for the leaders at the shooting range.  We had 10 bullets and whoever got the most in the bullseye won.  We all started shooting.  Mine kept hitting the log that was high and left of my target.  After about 4 or 5 shots, the man in charge asked me if I was aiming at target number 5.  I told him that I was trying to.  He said he was sorry, he didn't want to embarrass me but I just laughed.  Then I started aiming low and to the right to see if that would work.  It didn't.  I still hit that same spot on the log.  After everyone was done, they went out to get their targets and replace them for the next group.  I hadn't hit the paper even once so I didn't have to go out there.  I should have gotten the award for consistantly hitting the same place no matter where I aimed.  Instead all I got was an offer to teach me how to shoot.  :)


One of the leaders decided to try and catch a squirrel.

That is trail mix he used as bait.


Soon everyone was building traps.


K2 designed his out on paper first and then built it.


K3 had the most success.
This sport takes a lot of patience.

Still waiting...

He caught 3 squirrels and 1 chipmunk.  He named them all and this one is Bobby Joe.


This is what can happen if you are surrounded by crazy scouts for too long.
You can run but you can't hide!


Just call me Starr.

 

1 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Y'all caught squirrels! yeah! Sounds like fun!