BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Scout Camp Part 2

One of the days we were at scout camp they let the adults climb the wall, repel and do the zip line.  I have a fear of heights but I decided to do it anyway.  We got our harnesses and helmets on and received some instruction.  Then I climbed a lot of stairs to the top of the tower.  I had to stand there waiting in line for a bit and I was really nervous.  When it was finally time for me to zip, I wasn't sure if I wanted to anymore.  


Once the guy got me all hooked up to the zip line, he told me to stand on a milk crate and then lift my feet when I was ready to go.  I was scared to step up on that wobbley crate.  I told him I didn't want to be any higher than I already was.  Too bad, I had to get up there.  It took me a minute to get the courage to lift my feet up but I finally did it.  It took about a half of a second for me to realize that it was so fun and not scarey at all.  It felt like I was flying.

Next I climbed the wall and at the top there was an Easy Button.  I felt awesome as I hit the button.  So far, so good.  Last was repeling.  I did not want to go backwards off of a 35 foot tower.  It was so hard!  Once I lowered myself over the edge the rest wasn't as bad.  I have to say I am not a fan of repeling, but now that I am done, I am so proud of myself.
  
One of the leaders brought his didgeridoo and one night around the campfire he started playing it.  Soon everyone joined in banging on buckets, sticks, logs and tin cans.  It was so cool.

Mr. K took a turn at the didge.

On Friday, they had games and contests down at the lake.  Mr. K participated in the adult tri-athalon called the John Colter Run.  The participants had to carry a match with them the whole time and keep it dry so that it would light at the end.

It started with a run to the flag poles and back.  (That's him in the black and red shortie.)

Then he jumped into a canoe and had to paddle out around a buoy and back to the dock.

The last leg was a swim to the shore and then try to light the match.

His match didn't light.  :(

But he did get 3rd place.

 K1 participated in the 5 man, no paddle canoe race with 4 of his troop members.  It started out great with a good push-off from K2 (in the orange shorts.)

Hmmm.  Does something look wrong here?

Oh dear.

They had to swim in.

The only team to swamp their canoe.

The next activity was the blind scoutmaster canoe race where Senior Patrol Leader aka K1 told the blindfolded scoutmaster aka Mr. K which way to paddle the canoe to win the race.

It was kind of like bumper cars.

They didn't win but they are still winners.

After all of the games, everyone else was heading back to camp but Mr. K wanted to do the mile swim.  He had seen the patch in the trading post and he wanted it.  It had a polar bear on it which I thought was a bad sign but what do I know?  ;)

We just had to round up a rower to follow him and a spotter to keep an eye on him and jump in and save him if needed.  I just rode along to shout encouragement and take pictures.  Luckily, we found just the right guys.  Here they are.

Don't worry.  They were much more competent than they appear.  The spotter was our camp buddy and he was a life guard and the rower was his twin brother who taught canoeing and kayacking.  

Here he is diving in.

Did I mention that the sun went behind a cloud and it started blowing like crazy right before he started swimming?  At times there were white caps on the water. 

Here he is half way.


Almost done.  Mr. K is amazing!


He even had enough energy to run out of the water when he was done.  He even had enough energy to shiver violently for 45 minutes after that.  Thankfully my friend from the rifle range (see previous post) got him some hot chocolate and he warmed up.


That night they had an awards ceremony and closing campfire.  Mr. K was recognized as the only person to swim the mile so far this year.


They called down the camp commissioners and gave us a mug, a key chain, a pin and some applause.  I am a sucker for applause.


I love my new mug.


All of the camp staff put on a really neat program for us.

Here is our camp buddy.


It was a great week!  We had another didgeridoo/drum circle that night and then went to bed.

The next morning I awoke to pouring rain and I was sick.  I wanted to cry really bad but I was brave.  I was so happy to go home.  I guess I stayed one day too long  :)  but I'll be back next year!


Just call me Starr.

1 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That husband of yours is amazing!!! Look at him swim! That's so funny that they sunk the canoe!!!